Getting Started

The Basics of Home Education in Pennsylvania


Home education in the state of Pennsylvania requires that the student be registered with his/her school district.

Age Requirements:

  • Children who are 6 years old or older on or before September 1, must be registered as a home educated student if not in a private or public school.

*Caveat: If your child was previously enrolled in a public school (kindergarten etc) before the age of 6, then you must register the child each year regardless of their age.


Students who were previously enrolled in public or private school must be formally withdrawn.

To complete the withdrawal process, parents or legal guardians (home education supervisor) must send a withdrawal form (sample below) to the principle of the school to which the child is currently enrolled.

The form should be mailed via certified mail with return receipt, or, taken directly to the school office. If delivered in person to the school office, the school should provide a signed receipt for the home education supervisor's records.


New home educated students may be registered at any time during the school year. Previously home educated students must have their registration documentation submitted to the school district by August 1.

The ONLY documentation required by law to register your child as 'home educated' in the state of Pennsylvania includes:

  1. Affidavit (Must be notarized)*
  2. Education Objectives*
  3. Immunizations OR Religious/Philosophical Exemption*

*Please see the form examples below. Home Education Supervisors are not required by law to use forms provided by their school district.


If your child is registered as 'home educated', their yearly evaluation is due to the school district by June 30.

Many home education supervisors provide the school district with their students' next years' registration documentation and that years' evaluation at the same time.


By law, all communication and requests from a school district must meet 2 criteria:

1. It must come from the school district’s superintendent’s office, and

2. It must come via certified mail.

ANY REQUEST from a school district that does not come from the superintendent's office AND does not arrive via certified mail is NOT LEGAL. Phone calls, letters received in the regular postal mail, verbal/in person requests from secretaries - unless they provide you with a certified letter via postal mail, the request is not legal and you are not under legal obligation to comply.

Form Examples

Note: These are EXAMPLES of appropriate forms. You are under NO obligation to use forms provided by a school district.

Contact us to request copies of these form that you can edit on your computer.

Homeschool Affidavit.pdf
Sample Exemption Form.pdf
Receipt & Cover Letter Sample.pdf
Sample Objectives Form.pdf
Withdrawal Letter .pdf

Frequently Asked Questions:

Question: Who is the Home Education Supervisor?

Answer: In a home education program, the child is taught by his or her parent, legal guardian, or legal custodian. The person teaching the child is called the “supervisor” of the child's home education program.

Question about home education in Pennsylvania?

Submit your question via our CONTACT US page for a personalized response.